How landlords can benefit from the Government free boiler scheme
If you are a landlord or landlady you may be able to replace any inefficient or broken gas boilers currently installed in your property free of charge thanks to the Government ECO free boiler grant scheme.
The ECO (Energy Companies Obligation) is an environmental program led by the UK Government and funded by the six largest energy companies (British Gas, E.ON, EDF, Scottish Power, SSE & NPower). The scheme is designed to reduce carbon emissions by providing grants to replace inefficient gas boilers.
Boiler grant eligibility
Government legislation states that for any privately rented property it is the tenant who qualifies and not the landlord of a property. That means that if you let out several properties then each may qualify for a free boiler under the scheme depending on the tenants’ circumstances.
Benefits for landlords
- Any boiler installed via the free scheme will be an A rated boiler which will improve property’s energy efficiency and EPC ratings
- A new boiler installation can cost around £2000 – £3000 but may be free via the scheme
- Adds value to your property at point of sale or let
Benefits for tenants
- A new A rated boiler will have improved functionality and will heat any property more efficiently
- A reduction in gas / heating bills
Free boiler qualification criteria
The primary heating of your property must be mains gas and any existing gas boiler installed must be 8+ years old, or, 5+ years old and be faulty or broken to qualify for grant funding.
In addition to the above requirements regarding your property and existing boiler your tenant must be in receipt of one or more of the following benefits to qualify for a free boiler grant.
|Main Benefit||Additional Criteria|